From preparing my storyboard and watching
the scene from The Hunger Games that I planned to film, I wrote down several
camera techniques that I’d like to use and which would work effectively.
I’d first use the Close Up (and variations)
technique when filming Rainbow (who is playing Katniss) looking around the
location. I want to use this technique because it draws the viewer close and
involves them in what is happening. It also detects reactions and emotions from
the character.
After I’d do an Establishing Shot whilst
Rainbow is looking around because it establishes the relationship between the
set and the character.
Then I would Whip Pan from each character
that is in the scene. I would do this to introduce all the characters to the
viewer and observe each characters emotion. I think it makes the scene seem
more intense.
I’d then use a Wide Shot and Shallow Focus
to show tributes in the background while the camera is focused on a close up to
Rainbow. I’d like to use the Wide Shot because it establishes the set or
location and it shows a large amount of people. I would also like to use
Shallow Focus because it often is used to make one thing seem more important
than the other. (So, for example, Katniss is more important than the other
tributes as she is in focus whilst everyone behind is out of focus)
Following that, I hope to use the Pull
Focus. I will use this when the camera changes focus and the previous tribute
that was blurry and out of focus becomes in focus with Katniss then out of
focus. I’ll use this to show the tribute has become important.
Later I shall do subjective filming (or
POV) as I look around the location. I want to use this because it’s positioned
as if you’re looking through the characters eyes.
I will then do Whip Pan when the capital,
districts, Prim and Mrs. Everdeen are watching the hunger games start and Gale
is sitting in the grass. Using Whip Pan shows the viewers the characters
emotions and reactions.
Next I’ll do the Long Shot technique as
everyone is running to get resources. This technique is effective as it sets
the scene for the action and brings in the viewer.
Soon after I hope to use the Pull Focus
when Rainbow is watching a tribute but then notices a bag available. Using the
Pull Focus will show that something new has became more important. (The bag)
After, I want to use the Tracking Shot as Rainbow is running to get the bag.
The camera will follow her as she runs.
I will use the Head-On Shot after when
knives are getting thrown at the character. It will be used to enhance the
sense of involvement for the audience. It will look like the knives are
directed at or near the camera.
From analysing the film after editing, I’m
almost sure that I used every technique that I planned to use.
Techniques:
Close up - Used ✓
Establishing shot – Used ✓
Whip pan – Used ✓
Wide shot and Shallow Focus
– Used ✓
Pull Focus – Used ✓
Subjective Filming – Used ✓
Whip pan again – Used ✓
Long Shot – Used ✓
Tracking Shot – Used ✓
Head-On Shot – Used ✓
Editing
When editing the stuff we recorded, I tried
out several transitions to add in until I found a suitable one. Eventually, I
chose to use Cross Dissolve a few times and Cube. I also used Stabilize Shaky Video,
which helped clips that were too shaky and made them look less shaky. In some
clips, I used Enhance, which made the clips look darker as the lighting wasn’t
very good.
When editing, I added some music over the
clips. It was the original sound from the movie. There weren’t any problems
when editing, the music fit perfectly with my clips.
No comments:
Post a Comment